Subject: RE: [office-comment] 8.5.4 of ODF 1.0 - update

On looking over my own words, I propose the following amendments:

1. It's not like you can argue with someone about what their personal
opinion is.  **One might ask about the basis for such an opinion, but I
think that particular conversation would be off-topic here.**  I could argue
with the veracity of the **rejoinder's** particular quoted statements and

2. And added to the PS: In any case, I think the appropriate attention here
is on the review and improvement of ODF, not allegations about other
specifications.

-----Original Message-----
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200807/msg00065.html
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 09:11
To: 'ODF Comments List'
Cc: 'MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)'; 'Sheldon Britton'
Subject: RE: [office-comment] 8.5.4 of ODF 1.0

[ ... ]

When someone gives their personal opinion about something (as MURATA did), I
don't think it is appropriate to drag in appeals to authorities.  It's not
like you can argue with someone about what their personal opinion is. I
could argue with the veracity of the particular quoted statements and the
non sequitur based on them, but I think that would be seriously off-topic.

[ ... ]

 - Dennis

PS: To be clear, I have no opinion whatsoever on the comparison that MURATA
made, and I certainly can claim no perspective on the relative
translatability of the two specifications to another language.  I would have
simply passed over that comparison but for it having attracted lightning
here.