Subject: Re: [office-comment] ODFF: list of suggestions

Hi Eike

> > CONVERT
> > Care must be taken with prefixes for areas and volumes. 'km2'
> > means '[kilometres] squared'  NOT '1000 [metres squared]' - this
> > is potentially misleading, and the draft spec does not say
>
> I think it is common understanding that the notation km2 ist to be read
> as (km)**2 and not k(m**2), isn't it?

Well, it really wasn't *crystal* clear to me... It
might have been this passage:

"Applications claiming to support this function shall
permit the following unit decimal prefixes to be
prepended to any unit symbol marked with “*” in the
unit table cell above. Adding a unit prefix indicates
multiplication by the given prefix value."

which might suggest that the unit symbol is
multiplied. How about:

"Adding a unit prefix indicates multiplication of the
(scalar) unit by the given prefix value; for example
km indicates kilometres, and  km2 or km^2 indicate
square kilometres."

?

David