Subject: Re: [office-comment] ODF security hazard? (ODF all versions)

Hi Alex,

On 21.02.09 16:15, Alex Brown wrote:
> Rob hi
>
>> But I do think this would be good to collect a set of security
>> considerations into an Appendix, as we have with Bidi techniques and
>> Accessibility guidelines.  If there is interest we could also explore
>> a "Secure ODF" profile that would forbid things like OLE embeddings,
>> scripts, etc.
>
> That sounds like a sensible approach.
>
> Since the DTD feature is not needed though, it is one attack vector
> which could be easily blocked by forbidding DTDs ...

One could do so, but I'm not convinced that this is reasonable. With the
same argument we may have to forbid that an application tries to resolve
namespace URIs to check whether they can locate XSD schemas there, or
would have to forbid them to evaluate any xsi:schemaLocation attributes
and so and and so on.

Having that said: The issue is a general XML issue, and not something
specific to ODF. If we want to add security consideration to ODF, then I
would just say that ODF implementors should follow the security
consideration that do exist for the standards it uses (if there are
such), but I would not list them itself within the ODF specification.

Michael