Subject: RE: [office-comment] ODF still fails to specify scripting properly (ODF 1.2CD01)

"Alex Brown" <alexb@griffinbrown.co.uk> wrote on 03/01/2009 11:49:10 AM:

> > This is a great suggestion.  I'll make sure it is included in the list
>
> > of suggestions that the ODF-Next subcommittee considers.
>
> Cool, except can't we have this for 1.2 please? This is clearly a
> serious deficiency.
>
> You're not going to pull a Jan van den Beld on me, are you ("Better a
> good standard today, than an excellent one tomorrow")?

I'm making a distinction between perfecting the ODF 1.2 draft versus an
expansion of scope.  The issue is not that we define a scripting interface
poorly.  The issue is that we don't define one at all.  The easy part is
specifying a language to use, say EcmaScript, and how it is
stored/declared in the file.  The hard part is that you would also need to
specify the runtime API that the script has available to it, the
setCellFormat("Currency", 2) and similar functions.  That is a large
expansion in scope and is something that we have no available external
standards to tap into nor any member contributions.

I guess we could just take the DSDSL approach and say this will be in ODF
Part 9, eh?

-Rob