marbux <marbux@gmail.com> wrote on 03/02/2009 08:17:48 AM:

> Re: [office-comment] About this mailing list
>
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
> Hamburg <Michael.Brauer@sun.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > we have seen a lot of discussions on this mailing list, that in
general is a
> > good thing. However, as Rob Weir pointed out already, the purpose of
this
> > mailing, as defined by the OASIS Technical Committee Process[1], is:
> >
> > "The purpose of the TC?s public comment facility is to receive
comments from
> > the public and is not for public discussion."
>
> That quotation is missing important following detail:
>
> "Comments from non-TC Members must be collected via the TC?s archived
> public comment facility; . The TC must acknowledge the receipt of each
> comment, track the comments received, and publish to its primary
> e-mail list the disposition of each comment at the end of the review
> period."
>
> <http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#publicReview>.

If you read the context further, you'll see that this is only a
requirement for comments received during a public review draft, during a
public review.

But we also have a Call for Proposals running for ODF-Next at this time as
well.  So we welcome comments on ODF here.  But comments on comments, that
is something else entirely.  That belongs on the discussion list.

You can see how our work in tracking each legitimate public review comment
is made more difficult if the signal/noise ratio on this list is low.  It
also frustrating for the person who joins the list to submit a comment,
stays on the list for a day or two for an acknowledgement, and then is
deluged with dozens of heated posts debating the nature of
interoperability.  We need to respect the purpose of this list.

-Rob