Subject: Re: [office-comment] Index Structure (ODF all versions)

Alex Brown wrote:
>  Also, ODF sometimes mentions "indices", sometimes "indexes". It would be
> nice to standardize on one form - preferably "indexes" since you've got
> an element with that as a substring.

According to http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/indices
"When referring to a directory listing, the plural indexes
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/indexes> should be used."
This is the usage I certainly am comfortable with.

According to http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ind2.htm
/"Index/ is a good example of a small subgroup in which both plurals are
alive and well but in which usage has separated their senses. Another is
/appendix/, in which /appendices/ refers to books but /appendixes/ to
bodily organs. /Indices/ has survived in scientific work, especially in
mathematics. ... But it’s the only situation in which it’s found. The
usual plural is /indexes/, which first appeared in the seventeenth
century. If you’re talking about several of the sort in books, for
example, that’s the right one to use."

For some amusement see
http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail/kragen-tol/2007-April/000863.html

Cheers