Subject: Re: [office-comment] SVG Liaison

Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote on 06/01/2009 08:09:12 PM:

> [office-comment] SVG Liaison
>
> Hi, Folks-
>
> In an April email to the ODF TC [1], Robert Weir of IBM raised the issue

> of a liaison with the SVG WG.  I found this encouraging sign regarding
> progress on SVG integration and correction of some frankly unorthodox
> uses of SVG syntax.
>
> However, there was no followup to that message, and the SVG WG has
> received no reply regarding a liaison, despite the efforts of the SVG WG

> to reach out to the ODF TC [2][3] in an effort to forestall some of the
> earlier confusion about the use of SVG in ODF 1.0, and similar
> requirement by Rick Jelliffe [4].
>
> A recent search of your email archives for SVG [5] doesn't seem to
> indicate any progress on the overall issue, instead seeming to
> concentrate on reusing and revamping the earlier misused syntax.  I
> certainly understand that it takes time to make progress on these
> things, and I hope I'm simply misinterpreting the emails.
>
> Could you please assign someone to serve as a liaison to the SVG WG, so
> we can keep apprised of the direction the ODF TC is heading?

Hi Doug,

We've had the misfortune to have our TC calls scheduled for Monday's,
which means we've had three recent meetings canceled because of US
Memorial Day, German/French Whit Monday and something or other in China,
as well as one canceled for illness of the Chair.  So we are a little
backed up with other business on the agenda at the moment.  But we do know
that we have some liaison requests to process, and I will ensure that this
gets onto a future agenda.  We have a few liaisons to appoint, to a
variety of organizations.

As done in OASIS, a technical liaison is a single person who is a member
of both committees, presumably here the OASIS ODF TC, as well as the SVG
WG.  Since I am aware of no person who sits on both committees (but
correct me if I'm wrong) that means that we'll need to identify someone
from either of our committees willing and able to join the other
committee.

The liaison policy is here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/liaison_policy.php#tcliaison

And the process for for joining OASIS are listed here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/join/membership-application.php

If you have someone on your WG who is already an OASIS member, then
joining the ODF TC is trivial for them.  Have them contact me if they have
any questions.

Additionally, we have the ability to request a membership fee-waiver,
which may be appropriate for these kinds of technical liaisons.  Again, if
you have someone in mind from the SVG WG, have them contact me for
details.

We can also explore a liaison in the other direction, if you can point me
to information on requirements for participating in the SVG WG.   I can
share that information with the ODF TC, to see if one of our members is
interested in joining the W3C.

Regards,

-Rob