Subject: Re: [office-comment] ZIP specification for ODF 1.2

Dear ODF TC,

I am just curious at the following issue:
Is zip a standard?

If it is not, can one legally reference the zip-format within another ISO/OASIS/???-standard?

Then again, why is ODF limiting packages at a specific zip format?

It is clear that the document must be compressed using a standardized
algorithm in order to have all ODF-compliant programs able to open it.

But then again, I would argue that ODF should support at least tar.
Tar is uncompressed, but it is standardized in POSIX.
It may have some disadvantages, but at least it is standardized.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_%28file_format%29]

I may want to have later support for other algorithms,
though I believe something standardized is primordial.
TAR allows saving all files (streams) into a single file,
so no problems arise if the document is passed between
different users. There might be issues with UNICODE names,
though I believe that ODF does not include unicode names
(please correct me if I am wrong), and there are problems
with with random access within the file.

As an advantage, you could readily compress the tar archive
using any common algorithm like those mentioned on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression

Even more powerful algorithms may arise in the future,
so I would not want to limit ODF to an algorithm of the past
[in 10 years it may be well of the past, e.g. Acrobat seems to
 use a different and better algorithm - though I do not have
 any data to back this up].

I would rather want to have additional options to use when
compressing the ODF package.

Sincerely,

Leonard Mada

-------- Original-Nachricht --------