Subject: Re: [office-formula] Goals/levels/packaging/complex numbers

"David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote on 02/27/2006 06:16:21 PM:

> > ** If we have levels, must define the levels.  Discuss briefly
> whatwe  want, what are the levels.  Can we try to create rough
> resolution by March 17 on the levels, if we agree to define levels?
> (OpenFormula had four levels; we don't need to have 4, or use its
> breakdown, unless we like it.)

I think we need to take the broad view of this.  The formula language is not going to exist in a vacuum.  It will be part of the ODF specification.  We do not have levels in ODF today, _anywhere_.  We do not define subsets of conformance, _anywhere_.  I'm not saying this is set in stone or anything like that.  But it will not be so useful to have 4 levels of formula conformance but still require that all conformant spreadsheets implement the full range of chart types, database support, multiple sheet support and all defined attributes.  The issue of conformance really needs to be solved as a whole for it to be useful.

We did have discussion last year of starting a conformance subcommittee to hash out these types of things and I suggest that this task belongs there, where it can be dealt with comprehensively.  Also, keep in mind that our formula subcommittee charter is to specify "a base function set", not multiple levels.

That said, we can always put together some _non-normative_ thoughts on formula levels and pass that forward to a future conformance subcommittee to jump-start their efforts.

-Rob