Subject: Re: [office-formula] Goals/levels/packaging/complex numbers

On 2/28/06, David A. Wheeler <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote:
> > ** If we have levels, must define the levels.  Discuss briefly whatwe  want, what are the levels.  Can we try to create rough resolution by March 17 on the levels, if we agree to define levels? (OpenFormula had four levels; we don't need to have 4, or use its breakdown, unless we like it.)

I would propose the following approach towards defining levels.

First, go through the basic operators, make a list and define groups -
put each operator into one or more groups. Groups would be like, basic
math, basic text operations, and so on.

Then, do the same regarding functions. Group them up using various
criteria - the most obvious ones, and also others: for example, "uses
conditions as parameter(s)", or such - the testcases and breaking into
levels of OpenFormula would be the major help here.

Then, we have a list of feature groups, each containing a set of
functions and other features. We then define a level for each of these
groups. This would be easier than defining levels separately for each
minor thing.

We then go again, function by function, feature by feature, operation
by operation, and add the required levels, basing on our list. Using
other level than defined in the list should only be done after careful
thinking.

That way, everything should be clear and manageable.
I hope.

/ Tomas