Subject: Re: [office-formula] YEARFRAC/Basis in more detail

On Fri, 2007-25-05 at 17:02 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> One of the three main comments we got back on the formula spec was
> that "Basis"/YEARFRAC wasn't defined in enough detail.  When the test
> cases get removed, it'll be much worse.  In this case, I believe we
> should take the Excel values as "canonical" unless shown it should NOT
> be otherwise... but I've found NO place that actually defines it.

This assumes that all versions of XL in fact yield the same results,
which is contradiction which such (unverified) statements as:

quote from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1746401.php
Using this formula: =YEARFRAC(DATE(2002, 2, 28),DATE(2002, 12, 31),0)

In Excel 97: 0.833333333

In Excel 2002: 0.836111111

A difference of about a day.

Moreover I doubt that a listing of 50 to 200000 cases will make a good
definition.

Perhaps we should use a reference book such as "Money Market and Bond
Calculations" by Stigum and Robinson. It seems that MathWorks does
things like that. See
http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-3MPMX0.html?product=FI&solution=1-3MPMX0

Andreas
--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta