Subject: Re: [office-formula] Constraints and infix ^

Andreas,

Andreas J Guelzow wrote:

<snip>
>> According to your reading, we have prohibited 0^0 and then in a
>> following paragraph mandated it but don't define the result.
>>
>> If it is prohibited, there is no valid result. (full stop)
>>

> There has to be a result.
>
> If a user uses 0^0 some value _must_ be returned.

Note that I said "no valid result." What result it should return is up
to the formula standard to define.
> Since it violates the constraint imho it should be an Error. I guess the
> draft wants to allow other values (namely 0 or 1 as continuous
> continuations of related functions) but prohibit anything else.
>
> Personally I think it should always return an error.

OK, but the draft also says (6.1, under constraints):

>    *
>
>       If a constraint is not met, the function/operator *should*
>       return an Error unless otherwise noted.

That makes it appear (whether intended or not) that
applications/implementations when executing a function/operator defined
by OpenFormula can violate any constraint and not return an error.
Unless the definition of a function/operator gives a specific
instruction on what to do in the case of a constraint violation.

That seems like an odd result. As I say, that is probably a mis-reading
but it is one allowed by the text as written.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)