Subject: Re: [office-formula] Constraints and infix ^

Rob,

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> "Implementation-defined" is not a term that we will see defined in ISO
> drafting guidelines.  We'll need to explicitly define it in our text what
> it means.  Certainly in other standards, like ISO C++ items that are
> implementation-defined can also have additional restrictions specified in
> the standard.
>
> It is perfectly legitimate to say "implementation defined" and also
> specify additional restrictions.  For example, ISO C++ says that the
> length of a character is implementation-defined, but it must be at least
> 8-bits long.

Err, but doesn't that run afoul of your concerns for interoperability?
That is in the ISO C++ example there is a floor for representing
character of 8-bits but what happens if file was generated with an
application that supported a 16-bit definition is passed to an
application that only supports 8-bits?

Besides, if the formula group wants a defined set of results, then the
results aren't by any means "implementation defined," we are simply
offering a choice to implementations. They cannot chose, for example,
the weather report that David suggested.

Yes?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick