Subject: Re: [office-formula] Conformance for documents? (resend)

Hi,

Am 08.12.09 15:03, robert_weir@us.ibm.com schrieb:
> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 12/08/2009 08:36:50 AM:
>

>> That's very helpful.
>>
>> So you are saying that the language needs to be reformed to use
>> expressions vs. evaluators?
>>

> That is how I would do it.  The top-level task is to take the numerous
> concepts and terms in the draft specification and rationalize them into
> formal conformance targets, classes, levels, etc.  I've been pushing for
> having two conformance targets: Expression and Evaluator.

It seems that the SC has reached consensus on this, but I'd anyway like
to mention that I agree that these are these are two reasonable
conformance targets.

>> That distinction makes sense to me but then what of all the "portable"
>> document language in the current draft?
>>

> I've thought about this and have some ideas, but I don't think we've
> discussed or reached consensus on how to treat this formally.
>
> The concept of a "portable document" might be expressed:
>
> 1) As recommendations.  So convert portability requirements into should's.
>
> 2) As requirements.  So convert portability requirements into shall's.
>
> 3)As another conformance class: Portable OpenFormula Expression.
>
> 4) Remove from the specification altogether and give it to the ODF
> Interoperability and Conformance TC to turn into an OpenFormula
> interoperability guidelines document.
>
> 5) Some combination of 1 and 4.
>
> The most direct mapping would probably be 3.  But if we do so, we need to
> figure out how that interacts with the small, medium and large function
> groups.  And we would really want to make sure that all
> implementation-dependent behavior was resolved in the Portable conformance
> class.  It would be unfortunate if the Portable class was merely "more
> portable" but not fully portable.

I will share my thoughts on this in a reply to the mail Patrick send
this morning.

Michael
StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS