Subject: Re: [office-formula] Question on character classes

Eike,

Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Saturday, 2009-12-19 11:34:34 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>

>> Whirring away on untangling the portability portions but curious about
>> the use of XML character classes.
>>
>> Makes sense if we are talking about XML text, makes less sense if we are
>> talking about strings in general. Just use Unicode character classes
>> with the correct references.
>>
>> Was there some overt reason for choosing XML character classes?
>>

> What exactly are you talking about? Is this about LetterXML, DigitXML,
> ... in the syntax definitions, referring XML10
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/ appendix B Character Classes?

Yes.
> What would be the equivalent Unicode classes?

Well, for DigitXML that would be Decimal digits in the Unicode Character
Database.

I haven't compared the latest DigitXML to Decimal digits in the most
recent UCD so there may not be a significant difference.

My main concern was if we are talking about supporting the full range of
characters in Unicode (or at least providing implementations with that
option) when rather than citing the XML standard and using Unicode by
indirection, we could also simply cite the Unicode standard.

On the other hand, it may be that the XML summaries on these character
classes are at least as easy to specify as their Unicode counterparts
and nearly as complete.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)