Subject: Re: [office-formula] Fv, the parameter Pv

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 10:24 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> We say under Fv for the parameter Pv:
>
> >    *
> >
> >       the present value; default is 0.
> >
> 1) Really? Seems like an odd value for an investment, although perhaps
> not too uncommon in today's economic climate.

I think a default of 0 is a quite common and reasonable default value.
If you open an account in whihc you are planing to make regular
payments, it is quite likely to start with 0. That value will increase
over time as payments are received (independent from economic climate).

> 2) Is this a normative default? If not specified, this *is* the value
> used by this function?

I believe that we usually have said "default is 0" to be the normative
default. Why would you even think that if it said that for Pv "default
is 0" the function might be expected to use a different value if Pv is
not specified?

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow