Subject: Forced Recalculation?

Greetings!

Is it fair to say that all of current section 2.5 is non-normative?

It doesn't appear to specify any required behavior and consists entirely
of observations about behavior of current evaluators of OpenFormula
expressions.

Yes?

But that leads me to:

4.2 Basic Expressions where we say:

> If a formula is marked as a "forced recalculation" formula, then it
> *should* be recalculated whenever one of its predecessors it depends
> on changes.

Doesn't seem much like a "forced recalculation" if it is only a *should*
does it?

Not to mention that the apparently non-normative language in 2.5
contradicts itself:

"Functions that are /always/ recalculated whenever a recalculation
occurs are termed /volatile/ functions. Functions that are often
volatile functions...."

Well, but either a function is "always" recalculated or it is "often
volatile...." but surely it can't be both.

It may take some doing but my suggestion is that we determine which
functions *shall* to use the standards terminology recalculate when changed.

Moreover, we need to decide if formulas, when marked as "forced
recalculation" are a "should" or "shall" recalculate. Separate case from
functions.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)