Subject: inline arrays, references, matrices

Greetings!

I ran across:

>             Inline arrays and references are interchangeable.

under Matrix evaluation.

Which seemed like an odd place for it.

Until I realized that we also say:

> Evaluators that support inline arrays *shall* accept a *matrix* with
> one or more rows, each with one or more columns, with the same number
> of columns in each row, with constant values for each expression.

(emphasis added)

Which could be re-written to say:

****
Evaluators that support inline arrays *shall* accept a *reference* with
one or more rows, each with one or more columns, with the same number of
columns in each row, with constant values for each expression.
****

or

*****
Evaluators that support inline arrays *shall* accept an *inline array*
with one or more rows, each with one or more columns, with the same
number of columns in each row, with constant values for each expression.
****

It is this sort of issue that makes standards editors wake up in a cold
sweat, not Marbux's passive language concerns. Granted I try to root out
passive language as often as possible but I don't lose any sleep over
it. Having multiple ways to say the same thing and mixing those in a
standard, however, is a different thing.

Question: Do we mean the same thing by matrix and (inline array, reference)?

Thanks!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)