Subject: Re: [office-formula] Sections 4.8 Reference and 5.8 References?

David,

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 15:48 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> Patrick Durusau:
> > While inserting the cross-references for David/Eike's recasting of
> > expression calculation, I noticed we have two reference sections?
>
> Sure.  They're in different chapters, so that shouldn't be confusing.

I am not sure why "different chapter" = "shouldn't be confusing" but we
can debate that some other time. ;-)

> > 4.8 is the data type reference but has more than just data type information.
> > 5.8 has the syntax and lots of other information about references.
>
> As you noted, section 4 is about the type, section 5 is about the syntax
> (which lets you express them).

OK, so let me reproduce 4.8 and you say type/not type:

> A cell strip consists of cell positions in the same row and in one or
> more contiguous columns.

If anything, defining "cell strip"? Yes? Delete/move?

> A cell rectangle consists of cell positions in the same cell strips of
> one or more contiguous rows.

Same question for cell rectangle.

> A cell cuboid consists of cell positions in the same cell rectangles
> of one or more contiguous sheets.

Same question for cell cuboid.

> A reference is the smallest cuboid that (1) contains
> specifically-identified cell positions and/or specifically-identified
> complete columns/rows such that (2) removal of any cell positions
> either violates condition (1) or does not leave a cuboid.

OK, here is the content for a type definition. I think cuboid is well
known enough to pass without definition.

> Cell positions in a cell cuboid/rectangle/strip can resolve to empty
> cells (section 3.7).

Definitely 5.8 material.

> The definitions of specific operations and functions that allow
> references as operands and parameters stipulate any particular
> limitations there are on forms of references and how empty cells, when
> permitted, are interpreted.

Delete. I think I know what this means but it is a tautology.

Operations and functions that allow references, may place limits on the
forms of those references and if permitted, how references to empty
cells are interpreted.

OK, so operations and functions define their inputs. What's the news in
that? ;-)

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Patrick