Subject: Content tagging

Greetings!

I am finally working on the metadata use case draft and have a question
about the use case we called: content tagging.

In part it reads:

> In legal publishing (and presumably other domains) it is quite common
> to take an existing document (usually published legislation) and
> manually tag it with semantic information. It is generally critical
> that the presentation be preserved exactly for legal reasons.
>
> For example, a paragraph or series of paragraphs may constitute a
> legal definition of a term. A span of text may actually be a
> cross-reference within the same legislation, a reference to case law,
> or an
> amendment to another act.

I seem to remember that the Legal XML folks were concerned that they be
able to display a series of paragraphs as a list, which is a rendering
issue.

To what degree are we talking about "style" metadata in this use case?

In other words, for purposes of Legal XML, what is important is not the
markup per se but the display of the content?

Such that if I had a series of say 3 paragraphs, what I want is to have
metadata that enable the processing and display of those three
paragraphs as though it was a list under a leading paragraph?

Should I split this out as "style/display" metadata?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau