Subject: RDFa model and xml:id

Greetings!

I think there is some confusion on the RDFa "model" and xml:id. Mostly
from mixing two different issues, or at least what I see as two
different issues:

1. Linking metadata and content: Purely a question of how to associate
metadata with content. Has no semantics other than simply linking one to
the other.

2. The RDFa (or RDF) model: Therein are questions of identification of
subject, etc. But, I don't think those should be mixed with the purely
linking issue I pose as #1.

Consider that if we follow RDF/RDFa with using URIs to identify
subjects, how do we distinguish those from ones simply meant as a
linking mechanism? Moreover, if I point to an element, do I mean for the
element per se to be the subject or something that the element encloses?

I think if we separate our discussions along those lines we will achieve
some clarity. Note that I am not presuming that we will reach agreement
but at least it will be clear where we disagree. Which is often the
first step towards reaching consensus. If we don't understand each other
there is little chance of resolving disagreements.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau