Subject: Re: [office-metadata] RDFa model and xml:id

On Dec 13, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> Consider that if we follow RDF/RDFa with using URIs to identify
> subjects, how do we distinguish those from ones simply meant as a
> linking mechanism? Moreover, if I point to an element, do I mean for
> the element per se to be the subject or something that the element
> encloses?

I'd just keep it simple and emphasize it allows formally addressable
identification of resources within the document.

You can do:

<text:p xml:id="foo">...</text:p>

... and from anywhere (including outside the document) add statements
to it:

<http://ex.net/mydoc/content.xml#foo> security:level "1" .
<http://ex.net/mydoc/content.xml#foo> dc:subject
<http://ex.net/topics/bar> .

... etc.

But you cannot express relationships between the document and the
resource with this approach (because you disallow properties within the
content).

Also, I still really want to be able to include the resource links
within my citation field (for copy-and-paste and such). That might
suggest a third option that is somewhere between 1 and 2, allowing
metadata properties within specific contexts (like the field).

> I think if we separate our discussions along those lines we will
> achieve some clarity. Note that I am not presuming that we will reach
> agreement but at least it will be clear where we disagree. Which is
> often the first step towards reaching consensus. If we don't
> understand each other there is little chance of resolving
> disagreements.

I agree this is a helpful approach.