Subject: Re: [office-metadata] "Logical/abstract" vs. "physical" representation

Elias,

Elias Torres wrote:
> I also would like to remind you that in RDF we use an absolute URI not a
> relative one. Base URI doesn't fully resolve the issue because when a model
> is in memory people operate against the model having no knowledge of the
> base URI. They simply add and remove triples with absolute subjects and
> predicates. Therefore, if we change the base URI you can be making changes
> that affect other statements not written by you.

I think the assumption was that all relative URIs are made absolute when
  creating the RDF model, so you will have absolute URIs in the RDF
model only. You further always have the option to use absolute URIs in
RDF-XML stream. Whether an absolute IRI in the model is saved as a
relative IRI is something that should be under control of the plug-ins.
We should not make any assumption about that.

That's actually the same behavior as we have for IRIs that denote
images. Here, we allow relative IRIs, too, but the only thing we specify
is how they are resolved, but not when a relative one or an abolute one
should be stored. OpenOffice.org for instance has an option for this,
but that is application logic.

Michael

> -Elias
>
> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote on 03/05/2007 08:45:28 AM:
>
>> On Mar 5, 2007, at 8:03 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
>> Hamburg wrote:
>>
>>> Doesn't HTML have the same issues, and is RDFa specifying which
>>> base IRI have to be used?
>> But in HTML, things are a little easier because we presume the
>> document is located at an HTTP address, which is the base URI.
>>
>> We have no such comfort with ODF (or other traditionally desktop)
>> documents.
>>
>> Bruce

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS