Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Binding proposal(s) status for the call

Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM wrote on 03/21/2007 10:39:45 AM:

> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 21, 2007, at 9:00 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:
> >
> >> By posting this you give me the impression that you are not convinced
> >> by the arguments I listed for the usage of an package URL similar to
> >> odf:/
> >> May I ask, what make you cling to this solution? What have I overseen?
> >
> > I don't think you're really addressing the problem, which is the base
> > URI for the document. It seems to me you're trying to avoid using a
base
> > URI. That's really the only advantage your suggestion has: it's
> > basically a dummy base URI.
>
> I'm not trying to avoid a base URI in general. In fact every document
> has a base URI. That's its location. The RDF that defines URIs specifies
> that. The only thing I'm trying to avoid is defining a base URI in the
> document in situations where this is not required (that is, the
> situations where noone is interested in processing the metadata in the
> document except the user's office application) and where it is difficult
> to maintain the base URI (because it is not well understood by the
> average user what it is for).
>

> > Let's work it out in the call though. I'd want to think through how
this

> I will try to join, but cannot promise that. But from my perspective, we
> should not spend to much time on this certain detail, as it is really
> only the question: Is a base IRI mandatory, or is it optional an we take
> the document location as default (as most other standards do).

We really need you to join so you can understand the problems with the
current situation. It is my opinion that we cannot proceed using relative
URIs because we of explanations I already expressed on the list. I can't
look for the email where I describe the issues with relative URIs and
resolving URIs (for example:  "../../../content.xml" or ("/content.xml").
We should not be creating a navigatable space within ODF because of
Florian's concerns. We need to simply generate stable URIs for each of our
elements and make statements about them. This is not about a base IRI or
not. base IRI is only syntactic sugar, doesn't get at the heart of the
problem.

We should not be making statements in ODF based on the location of the
document, that sounds insane to me.

-Elias