Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Re: preserving metadata (was deadlines?)

On 5/16/07, Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote:
> Actually "may" is defined in 1.2 Notation.

Oops. I missed that because I did a document search for XML 1.0 or RFC
2119. in the current ODF 1.2 draft. Any idea why the definitions
incorporated in ODF changed from RFC 2119 in ODF 1.0 to ISO/IEC
Directives Annex H in ODF 1.1? I'm guessing that it was an editorial
change requested in the ISO review process. Because of the ISO
requirement that those definitions be used (at least my hasty look
says that the Annex requires the ISO definitions to be used ). If so,
we've apparently got a rat's nest of a conflict between ISO
requirements and XML 1.0 requirements.

The definition of "may" in XML 1.0/RFC 2119 requires application
interoperability regardless of whether or not features are supported,
i.e., preservation of information required for interoperability. But
not so with the corresponding definition in the ISO Directives Annex H
 See id. at pg. 65
<http://publicaa.ansi.org/sites/apdl/Documents/Standards%20Activities/International%20Standardization/ISO/ISOIECDirectivesPart2pdfformat.pdf>.

There are differences in other definitions that may be significant as
well. I haven't evaluated them yet.

Patrick, are we stuck with a mess that can only be resolved between
W3C and ISO? At least the way it's looking so far, we're in a Catch 22
situation. If we go one way, we're non-conformant with XML 1.0; if we
go the other way, we're non-conformant with the ISO Directives. And to
achieve interop, we need to go with the XML 1.0/RFC 2119.

If you don't have an easy answer for this, I'll put some time into
digging. Unfortunately, I am going to be tied up at least most of the
day today (Thursday). I'll try to dig farther on this problem on
Friday, but I don't know how much time will be required to come up
with a solution or whether there is one.

It is kind of funny though, in a somewhat perverse sort of way. Kind
of like being caught between one gunman and another and one says he
will shoot you if you don't hold still and the other says he will
shoot you if you don't start walking.

Best regards,

Marbux