Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Fw: News Release: W3C Completes Bridge Between HTML/Microformatsand Semantic Web with GRDDL

I guess I was thinking along the lines of spreadsheet data.  Users commonly put in data tables, a few columns of data with labels as headers.  These may start in row 1, or anywhere.  If another application wants to operate on that data in the document, they really don't know where to start.  What range do they look for?  What are the data types of the columns?  It isn't really self-describing because the column headers are really not headers in any formal sense.  They are just cells containing labels.  It looks nice to the eye, but it really isn't formally structured.

So what would you do if you wanted to layer some structure on to the data?  I guess you could annotate with RDF metadata and say things about the range and the headers.  But another way might be to define via GRDDL a way to extract RDF from the spreadsheet.  So not really metadata, but RDF to describe the actually data of the sheet.  This could be powerful.

But I agree that this doesn't necessarily intersect with our metadata work.  Both use RDF, but for different purposes.

-Rob

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group