Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Fw: News Release: W3C Completes Bridge BetweenHTML/Microformats and Semantic Web with GRDDL

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I guess I was thinking along the lines of spreadsheet data.  Users
> commonly put in data tables, a few columns of data with labels as
> headers.  These may start in row 1, or anywhere.  If another
> application wants to operate on that data in the document, they really
> don't know where to start.
> What range do they look for?  What are the data types of the columns?
>  It isn't really self-describing because the column headers are really
> not headers in any formal sense.  They are just cells containing
> labels.  It looks nice to the eye, but it really isn't formally
> structured.
>

> So what would you do if you wanted to layer some structure on to the
> data?  I guess you could annotate with RDF metadata and say things
> about the range and the headers.  But another way might be to define
> via GRDDL a way to extract RDF from the spreadsheet.  So not really
> metadata, but RDF to describe the actually data of the sheet.  This
> could be powerful.
The structure you described in your example should be described by RDF,
from my understanding GRDDL does not add any structure. GRDDL only shows
a way how to extract the RDF graph from a XML file by providing an
algorithm (usually XSLT stylesheet).

The RDF graph of an ODF document should be the same in the end with or
without GRDDL.
Or did I misunderstand your scenario?

> But I agree that this doesn't necessarily intersect with our metadata
> work.  Both use RDF, but for different purposes.
>
> -Rob
Bests,
Svante