Subject: CURIE or not CURIE..

Greetings!

patrick@durusau.net wrote:
> This should be the next to last draft we need to consider as the Metadata
> TC, at least for the next version of ODF. Note that this draft will be the
> focus of our meeting on 16 January 2008.

Patrick and I edited our last draft in a way to be as much compatible to
RDFa as possible.

Later we realized the introduction of CURIE might trigger problems,
earlier unnoticed:
Similar to the RDFa attributes, where we had to introduce our own
namespace, because they were not a recommendation spec yet, the CURIE
spec is a last call Working Draft and subject of change.
It gets even more complicated as we can not simply copy/paste the CURIE
spec and reinvent their ongoing spec first.
A liaison with the W3C could help us a lot in this area, but could not
solve the problem of CURIE about to change till it's final release.
These changes might cause even worse incompatibility than sticking on
URI for this version.

Therefore I would suggest to drop the CURIE for now and use URI only in
our RDFa attributes and adapt later (ASAP) the namespace and to the
final solution of CURIE given by the W3C.

FYI - Just another compatibility question regarding RDFa, I just asked
Mark Birbeck, one of the RDFa/CURIE editors, who I met on the XML 2007
in Boston:
In case I export a future ODF 1.2 package containing some RDFa
attributes and RDF/XML files to XHTML, how does XHTML relate the RDF/XML
files, which are saved somewhere aside the file.
Are there mechanisms similar to CSS like a file relation or even an
embedding of RDF/XML in the header?

Regards,

Sun Microsystems GmbH           Svante Schubert
Nagelsweg 55                    Software Engineer
20097 Hamburg                   StarOffice / OpenOffice.org Development
Germany                         Phone: +49(0)40 236 46 500
http://www.sun.com              Svante.Schubert@sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028