office-requirements message

Subject: Re: [office-requirements] Draft text for call for proposals

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 01/13/2009 02:34:29 PM:

> Just a quick observation, more detailed comments will follow in a day or
so.

> I assume that the "report" will probably not detail proposals that were
> not accepted.

The TC is chartered to collect, categorize and prioritize the submitted
proposals, but it is asked to report on a "recommended set of work items
for ODF-Next".  So we're not obliged to report all submitted proposals.
But if we opt to, and it may be a good idea, we could certainly have an
annex called "Other Proposals" or something to record the remaining ideas.

> Shouldn't we say something about a comprehensive listing aside from the
> "report?"

We could mention, aside from the above possibility of an annex, that
proposals submitted to the public comment list are permanently archived,
and we could give the URL to the mailing list archive.

> BTW, how far back does our treatment of suggestions go for ODF-Next?

We have a complete record of ODF public comment submissions, from January
2004 to the present.  The comments after the close of the ODF 1.0 public
review until July 2008 have been transcribed into a spreadsheet and have
already been classified as whether they indicate a proposal, a defect
report, etc.  I intend to update that spreadsheet to the present.  So it
should be easy to extract all submitted proposals since July 2005.
Comments before then were formally disposed as part of the ODF 1.0 public
review.  But we should probably glance over those to extract any proposals
have not been already included in ODF 1.1 or ODF 1.2.

But we probably don't want to go into that level of detail in the note.

> I would jazz up the lead in a bit. Something like: "Look beyond the four

> corners of documents formats! Help the ODF TC take "ODF-Next" to a
> higher stage of document evolution. Be creative, be suggestive, often.
> The only limits on our vision are our own."
>
> Yes, I am aware that the first sentence is meaningless. Still, it sounds

> like it could mean something. ;-)

OK.  I like that direction.

> I really do think that with the foundation we will have with ODF 1.2,
> that some truly unusual things, things we don't presently imagine, will
> become possible.
>
> Hope you are having a great day!
>
> Patrick
>
> robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > Here is a first stab at a draft message.  Please be brutal with
feedback.

> > -Rob
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > The OASIS ODF TC has recently finalized the approval of technical
> > proposals which will be included in ODF 1.2.  After these proposals
are
> > integrated into the ODF 1.2 draft, and remaining editorial tasks are
> > completed, the draft specification will be sent on for a required
60-day
> > Public Review, and then finally onto a ballot for approval as an OASIS

> > Standard.
> >
> > Concurrent with these final stages of ODF 1.2 work -- which may take
> > several months -- the ODF TC wishes to start a public conversation
related
> > to the technical contents of "ODF-Next", the provisional name for the
next
> > major version of ODF.   The ODF TC has created a subcommittee, the ODF

> > Requirements Subcommittee, chaired by Bob Jolliffe (email address
here),
> > in order to gather, categorize and prioritize proposals for ODF-Next,
and
> > to report back tot he ODF TC with recommendations.  The target for
this
> > report is May 1st, 2009.
> >
> > We wish to now start gathering proposals, from TC members, from the
OASIS
> > community, from ODF implementors, government, academia, and from the
> > public at large.  What features should be added?  What capabilities do
we
> > need?  Where do we want to take ODF next?  We want you to think
broadly
> > and boldly on where we can take this standard in the next major
revision.

> > Some things to keep in mind:
> >
> > 1) ODF is a standard for a document format.  It is not a standard for
> > word processor or spreadsheet application.  So proposals will need to
> > touch upon items that are reflected in the stored document.  Requests
> > change the UI of an application, or make it print faster, are examples
of
> > things that are out of scope.
> >
> > 2) The more detail you can provide in the proposal, the better.  If a
> > specific change is requested, please give section references relative
> > the latest ODF 1.2 Committee Draft (insert URL here).
> >
> > 3) All proposals will need to be submitted in accordance with OASIS
IPR