Subject: Re: [office] Paragraph Alignment

Daniel,

First, quick apology, won't be able to make the call this morning. Sorry
'bout that.

Proposal for extension of fo:text-align attribute looks good to me.

Assuming that not including "end" is limited to paragraph? (Agree that
with paragraph it does not look like it would be useful, probably more
accurate to say I can't think of a use case. Not saying one does not
exist but one does not come to mind.)

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

Daniel Vogelheim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had an action item to determine the use of the paragraph alignment
> attribute in OOo XML.
>
> Well, OOo uses a subset of the fo:text-align attribute, namely the
> values 'start', 'end', 'justify' and 'center'. However, OOo interprets
> 'start'/'end' as 'left'/'right'. I guess we could consider that a bug in
> the OOo implementation, in that 'start'/'end' are clearly intended to be
> writing-mode dependent, while 'left'/'right' are not. The original
> fo:text-align attribute supports both, 'left'/'right' and 'start'/'end'.
>
> So, I see two requirements here:
> 1. We need to represent our old documents (with left/right alignment)
> 2. David needs a writing-mode dependent start alignment.
>
> A fairly obvious solution is to extend the range of allowed
> fo:text-align attribute values to cover all these cases, i.e. 'left',
> 'right', 'start', 'center', 'justify', and this is what I propose the TC
> will accept.
>
> So far, nobody asked for an 'end' alignment. I'm not sure if it would
> make sense to include it anyway.
>

> Sincerely,
> Daniel

> the OASIS TC), go to