Subject: Re: [office] Proposal for cursor position

At 13:01 2003 12 08 +0100, Michael Brauer wrote:
>Dear TC members,
>
>an action item for me is to create a proposal for the representation of the cursor position within one ore more document views.
>
>As agreed in the 24 Nov con call, there should be an element that marks possible cursor positions in the content. I propose to use an <text:view-mark> here that can occur within <text:p> and <text:h> elements. <text:view-mark> has a single attribute "text:id" that takes the unique id of the mark. <text:view-mark> simply marks a text position so that it is referencable from somewhere else within a file. The element has to be ignored if such a reference does not exists.
>
>Within the application specific settings, I propose to add an config item set with the name "office:view-settings". The only config item supported is an indexed map with name "Views". Each of the map entries supports the string properties "ViewId" and "CursorPosition". "ViewId" contains the name of the view. It allows applications to specify additional properties for the same view within other config item sets. "CursorPosition" contains the id of a <text:view-mark> element within the content.
>
>An example for this could be
>
><office:settings>
>  <config:config-item-set config:name="office:view-settings">
>   <config:config-item-map-indexed config:name="Views">
>    <config:config-item-map-entry>
>     <config:config-item config:name="ViewId"
>                    config:type="string">view2</config:config-item>
>     <config:config-item config:name="CursorPos"
>                    config:type="string">view2pos</config:config-item>
>    </config:config-item-map-entry>
>    <config:config-item-map-entry>
>     <config:config-item config:name="ViewId"
>                    config:type="string">view1</config:config-item>
>     <config:config-item config:name="CursorPos"
>                    config:type="string">view1pos</config:config-item>
>    </config:config-item-map-entry>
>  </config:config-item-set>
>
>  <config:config-item-set config:name="ooo:view-settings">
>   <config:config-item-map-indexed config:name="Views">
>    <config:config-item-map-entry>
>     <config:config-item config:name="ViewId"
>                    config:type="string">view2</config:config-item>
>     <!-- more application specific items for "view2" -->
>    </config:config-item-map-entry>
>  </config:config-item-set>
></office:settings>
>

><text:p>My Test<text:view-pos text:id="view2pos"/>.</text:p>
><text:p>My Test<text:view-pos text:id="view1pos"/>.</text:p>

Since the cursor can be almost anywhere in a document, the text:view-pos
element would need to be allowed anywhere by the schema in use.  I know
XML DTD's don't allow inclusions.  Do XML Schemas and/or RelaxNG?  If
we can't represent the allowable location of text:view-pos via a DTD,
do we care?

If we do, then I don't see how we can use an element to represent the
cursor position.  (Arbortext's Epic uses processing instructions to
represent the cursor position and other view-related information.)

paul