Subject: Re: [office] 1.7 Mimetypes: Extensions?

On Thursday 11 March 2004 16:39, Michael Brauer wrote:
> David,
>
> according to RFC2048, §2.2.9 extensions are optional. We haven't
> requested the MIME types so far, because we don't have a public
> specification so far, so we still may discuss whether we want to specify
> extensions or not. However, I suggest that we do that in the 2nd phase,
> but of course before the register MIME types.
OK, sounds good.

> Is KOffice using the sx? extensions StarOffice and OpenOffice.org are using?
When importing/exporting to the OOo formats, yes, of course.

But the question will arise when we use the OASIS format as the native format
for KOffice (which I have started to work on). We can't save as .sxw then,
since the OASIS format is a bit different from the current OOo format, so OOo
wouldn't really understand those documents. ".sxw" is a legacy name anyway,
I don't think it makes sense to adopt it for "standard" OASIS documents.
That's where a "standard" extension might make more sense.
But the debate is open, I'm not yet sure myself, what would be best for users.