Subject: Re: [office] Propsal: numbered paragraphs/headings without number

Hi David,

David Faure wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> On Friday 03 September 2004 10:31, Michael Brauer wrote:
>
>>What we have overseen for both situations is that some office
>>applications have a feature where a paragraph or heading actually has a
>>list style assigned but gets no number. Such paragraphs and headings are
>>formatted like being in a list, that is, they get the margins and text
>>indent specified in the list style, but no number is displayed in front
>>of it, and the number counter associated with a list style is not
>>increased.
>>
>>For paragraphs contained in a list <(text:list> element, section 4.3),
>>this situation is covered by the <text:list-header> element (section
>>4.3.3). For paragraphs repesented by a <text:numbered-paragraph> element
>>and headings, no solution exists so far. For this reason, I Would like
>>to propose to add a "text:is-numbered" attribute to both, the
>><text:numbered-paragarph> and the <text:h> element, that specifies
>>whether the paragarph or heading gets a number. The attribute gets a
>>boolean value.
>

>>The default value is "true".
>
> Is it? Not all paragraphs and headers are numbered...
> That's what's potentially confusing here - the attribute alone doesn't say whether
> the paragraph is numbered, this also comes from the list style.
> The attribute really means "is-not-numbered-although-the-list-style-says-it-should-be" :)

You are right. Or isn't it even
"is-not-numbered-although-the-list-style-says-it-should-be-and-although-it-is-displayed-like-
beeing-in-a-list" :)

> If we want to keep the semantic of "list header" then maybe it should be named
> "text:is-list-header" (default value "false" of course). It's less obvious from the name
> what it means visually, but it's more consistent with <text:list-header>.

I agree. This attribute name reflects much better the meaning of the
attribute. My first thought was that the term "list-header" might be
confusing if we are not in a list, but since we reference "list-styles"
by "list-style-name" attribute if we are not in a list, too, that's
probably not the case.