Subject: Re: [office] Meta Data Requirments Sub Committee

Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg <Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM> wrote on 02/23/2006 10:43:04 AM:

> Dear TC members,
>
> please find below a revised draft charter for the meta data sub committee.
>
> Michael
>

> OpenDocument Meta Data Sub Committee (MDSC) Draft Charter
>
> Statement of purpose
> --------------------
> 1. To gather use cases for the application of meta data in OpenDocument
> documents and OpenDocument aware applications.
> 2. To classify the use cases.
> 3. To derive meta data related requirements for future versions of
> OpenDocument from the use case classes.
> 4. To propose meta data related enhancements for OpenDocument for
> consideration by the Opendocument TC which address these requirements.
>

> Deliverables
> ------------
> 1. A list of meta data use cases for OpenDocument documents and OpenDocument
> enabled applications, together with a classification of the use cases.
> 2. A list of meta data related requirements for future versions of
> OpenDocument, which will be prioritized by the OpenDocument TC.
> 3. Proposals for OpenDocument enhancements which address the requirements
> identified in deliverable 2.

An open question:  Do we want to take any action on the deliverables 1 and 2 above?  For example, before proceeding to deliverable 3, we might want to discuss and approve the use cases and requirements, to make sure we are all in agreement on what is "in scope" and "out of scope".  Further, we might want to gather public comment on the metadata usecases and requirements.  Would it make sense to issue that document (use cases and requirements) as a Committee Draft for that purpose?
> Scope of work
> -------------
> The subcommittee's work is to collect use cases where meta data is passedor
> stored along with OpenDocument documents, to classify them as described
> above, and to derive a set of requirements for future versions of
> OpenDocument from these classes. The subcommittee's work further is to
> prepare proposal for OpenDocument enhancements which address these
> requirements.

I'd like to propose an additional intermediate step, namely that the subcommittee will present the use cases and the requirements to the TC and get the TC's approval to proceed to the specification stage.

> The proposed enhancements must provide general solutions for the application
> of meta data in OpenDocument documents and OpenDocument aware applications in
> general. That is, they have to be neutral to specific meta data ontologies.
> The proposed enhancements further must consider office applications as the
> main editing tool for OpenDocument documents, which means, they must not
> conflict with the processing model of OpenDocument documents for office
> applications.

I'm not sure we need to express these constraints in the charter.  We will have ample opportunity to address these concerns(and more) if the TC reviews and approves the usecases and requirements, right?