Subject: Fwd: [odf-devel] ODF & ITS

Hello all,

Just thought I'd forward this email. ITS is the Internationalization Tag
Set. For easing the translation process of  xml based documents.
Implementations for DocBook, XHTML and ODF are  supposed to be considered.

http://www.w3.org/International/its/

My understanding is that they want to add attributes like
its:translate="yes".

Should we talk to them? Is this relevant to the metadata SC?

Best,
Daniel.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [odf-devel] ODF & ITS
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:24:19 +0900
From: JC Helary <jch.helary@free.fr>
To: odf-devel@opendocumentfellowship.org

I just left the Open Source Conference in Tokyo and I had the time to
talk for a few minutes with Felix Sasaki of W3C who told be that they
are planning to release a final draft (?) of ITS in May and thus they
were looking for people who'd comment on the proposal.

Although I don't have any specific idea of how ITS could be
implemented in ODF I just tried a few things in the Shinkansen back
home, and even though that my look like obvious to a number of you,
it was not for me until 5 minutes ago :)

My understanding is: if/when ITS is implemented in ODF, it will take
the form of special attributes inside the xml tags that define text
parts. What I've done today is a "prototype" (hum hum...) of what I
imagine ITS would look line in ODF. Basically I created 4 styles. Two
for block info, two for inline info, each pair having a "translate"
and "donttranslate" version. So practicaly, I have the following
dummy styled code in content.xml:

<text:p text:style-name="its_translate_block">Wewew</text:p>

<text:p text:style-name="its_donttranslate_block">wewew</text:p>

<text:p text:style-name="its_translate_block">w
	<text:span text:style-name="its_donttranslate_inline">ew</text:span>
	ew</text:p>

<text:p text:style-name="its_donttranslate_block">w
	<text:span text:style-name="its_translate_inline">ew</text:span>
	ew</text:p>

I have 2 questions here:

1) is this what ODF developers considers a possible implementation ?
2) if not what is the current state of affairs ?

Jean-Christophe

--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org
     /\/_/