Subject: Re: [office] Full validation of an ODF document?

On 22/03/06, robert_weir@us.ibm.com <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> As we all you know,  we have multiple levels to an ODF document:
>
> 1) a packaging convention
> 2) a RELAX NG schema
> 3) document fragments based on other standards which may have schemas based
> on DTD or XML Schema
>
> Maybe a dumb question, but I don't see it answered anywhere -- is there any
> tool out there that will validate at least 2 & 3 above?  For example,
> something which will validate the main document via RELAX NG and will then
> call out to an XML Schema validator to validate the contained MathML?  The
> normative grammar of the ODF spec merely says <anyName /> which is not
> sufficient on its own.
>
> Also, has anyone attempted to express ODF completely in a single schema
> language, to facilitate such automated validation, perhaps by using a
> non-normative XML Schema-based grammar?  Or by creating a RELAX NG for
> MathML, SVG, XLink, XForms, etc. ?

To my knowledge it's not been done.

More worrying question, without multiple namespaced content,
an invalid (in fact non-well-formed) document still opens in ODF.
Two of the files from the test suite were missing the final two
closing elements - yet still opened in writer!

regards DaveP

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.