Subject: Re: [office] Important question from Accessibility SC

Thank you Patrick. I will write up the proposal for alternative text accordingly.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost

Inactive hide details for Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>

          Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>

          04/26/2006 10:17 AM
          Please respond to
          patrick@durusau.net

Nathaniel S Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS

cc

office@lists.oasis-open.org, Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Peter.Korn@Sun.COM

Subject

Re: [office] Important question from Accessibility SC

Nathaniel,

Good question!

In terms of "textual description" I am not sure that reuse of draw:name,
for example, would be appropriate. Those attributes already have
legitimate uses and "reuse" might step on some of those uses.

With that in mind, I think adding an attribute would be the best way to
handle this issue.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

Nathaniel S Borenstein wrote:

> The accessibility committee has a question that it wishes to pose to
> the full TC.
>
> There are several places where ODF currently lacks a way to specify an
> alternative textual description of a non-textual object.  In such
> cases, we could either invent a new tag or reuse an existing tag in
> what seems (to us) to be a reasonable way.  In particular, we're
> wondering whether or not we can simply use draw:name, svg:desc, and
> office:name for such a purpose.  Would the TC recommend doing so, or
> would it be preferable for us to create a new tag such as svg:title?
>  Obviously either approach will work, but we aren't sure which is
> better.  All opinions are invited.  -- Nathaniel

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005