Subject: IS 26300, but still waiting for the official word

Dear OpenDocument TC members:

     I am sure that by now you have heard informally, as have we, that the
ISO/IEC JTC1 ballot likely has passed overwhelmingly, conferring on
OpenDocument v1.0 the status of International Standard.  That is, however,
an unofficial report.

     In this blog-centric decade, I am not sure that the words "informal"
or "unofficial" have much meaning.   Of course, a number of excited
volunteers immediately carried reports to the Internet -- with varying
degrees of reliability and publicity.  As of Thursday afternoon U.S. time,
the ballots still have not been delivered to us.  As I understand it, they
will be transmitted shortly, by JTC1 officers via means less speedy than
the Internet.  Of course, we will share the results with you immediately.

     As an established, fairly well-respected organization, we at OASIS are
very careful about what we announce and its reliability.  We also are
careful to coordinate with other appropriate stakeholders.  As I hope you
will see shortly, we are attending to that, in ways that ultimately will
help promote the work.

     I will save further comments for when we have the ballots, and can
review them with you and discuss the voters' comments and our next
steps.  I hope to see that occur with a few business days.  Nevertheless,
for now, it appears that the ODF specification, and this TC, won
big.  Congratulations.

     Cordially, Jamie

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org