Subject: Re: [office] Post your info to OpenDocument XML.org

Hi Carol,

Thanks for sending this out.  I recently blogged about the Microsoft
announcement of their funding an open source MS-Office ODF plugin, so I
thought I'd register via the registration page and note my blog as you
suggest.

I noticed at the bottom of the registration page a 'captcha' - a graphic
containing morphed letters on a background that I needed to recognize
with my vision in order to prove I'm not a computer.  Unfortunately such
captchas are inherently inaccessible to blind folks using things like
screen readers.  We need to offer a non-visual alternative to this
captcha in order to ensure that folks with vision impairments are
afforded equal access to participate in this process.  Such an
alternative might involve multiple media types (e.g. a sound file of
someone saying a word or spelling out some letters), or a phone number
to call for authentication.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,