Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-accessibility] Re: [office] OpenDocumentv1.1 Committee Draft 1

Michael,

Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:

> Robert,
>
> robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
>

>> Actually, I am proposing a removing the content of Appendix E
>> altogether and have it be its own document, so it is all in one
>> place, a coherent whole.   If we have it in two places, what do we do
>> when the content overlaps?  It can get very confusing.
>

> I don't expect that. Even if the guidelines are not normative, they
> should be stable.

I think the issue that Rob is raising here is the oft repeated adage
that standards should say something once and only once.

In this case, however, we are talking about normative text versus an
annex. Annexes, particularly illustrative ones, are bound to repeat some
of the content from the normative part of the standard.

I am torn between saying we could add a cautionary note and simply
relying upon people understanding what they are reading is an ISO
standard and bound by its rules.

>> Also, although Appendix E is said to be "non-normative", it has
>> language like "shall", "should" and "must" which contradicts that
>> label.  So at the very least I think we want to clean that up.
>

> Appendix uses these terms, but they are not in bold, and therefore are
> part of the control language.

I will have to check but I think ISO 8879 does the same thing in its
annexes, several of which are non-normative. I will try to look at that
over the weekend.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick