Subject: Impact of daylight savings time changes

Quick background ---  The Energy Policy Act of 2005 (EPACT) signed into U.S. law on August 8, 2005 includes many provisions for the improvement of energy management and mandated changes to Daylight Saving Time (DST). EPACT 2005 amends the Uniform Time Act of 1966 by changing the start and end dates of DST starting in 2007. For most of the US, clocks will be set ahead one hour on the second Sunday of March instead of the current first Sunday of April. Clocks will be set back one hour on the first Sunday in November, rather than the last Sunday of October.

I'm trying to access whether this has any impact on ODF.  Obviously implementations may need to make some adjustments, though I bet most rely on the operating system for this.  But is there anything in ODF we need to worry about?  If we're using XML Schema dateTime types everywhere, then that includes an encoding of the UTC time zone delta, so we should OK, provided the implementations do the right thing.

Are there any places where we refer to dates or times without using the XML Schema dateTime or date types?  I don't think so.

The OpenFormula work -- these have plenty of time and date functions.  Is there anything there where time zones are a concern?  In particular,  "4/2/2006" + TIME(1,1,0) results in 4/2/2006 2:01AM when really it would be 3:01AM because of daylight savings time.  Do we want to be explicit that date arithmetic does not take into account daylight savings time?  Of course that has nothing to do with the law change.