Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Request for Information

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I looked into this issue before.  The ODF 1.0 or 1.1 specification calls
> for MathML 2.0.  There is no reference in the ODF specification to
> "Modified W3C MathML".  So, my guess is this is merely an OpenOffice
> limitation where it supports a subset of MathML.

Actually, it is not the MathML that has been modified, but only the DTD
file. We have created this modified DTD file five years ago to be able
to validate namespaced MathML with a DTD.

The following information regarding the modifications is directly from
the DTD file:

<!-- 1) added "math:" namespace prefix                  -->
<!-- 2) removed entity include files                    -->
(there are two other modification listed, but they do only effect the
comment section of the DTD file)
<!-- Modifications are intended to ease validation      -->
<!-- of MathML files written by StarMath 6.0            -->

Actually, mentioning "StarMath 6.0" is not up to date any longer, and
maybe even confusing. It probably would have been more accurate to say
something like "Modifications are intended to ease validation of
namespaced MathML files."

I hope this helps.