Subject: Index, Combining Entries, pp and passim

Greetings!

I may have found an issue with the current schema with regard to:

<attribute name="text:combine-entries-with-pp" a:defaultValue="true">

What caught my eye was the example:

"An index mark for the word "XML" occurs on pages 45, 46, 47, and 48...."

Which is given as:

"XML 45pp"

That doesn't look right so I checked in the 15th Edition of the Chicago
Manual of Style, which reports:

15.45 that pp. is an abbreviation for pages.

But, further reports that for "...scattered references over a number of
not necessarily sequential pages or sections (e.g., 78-88 passim)." the
correct term is "passim" with an en dash separating the start and end
page. see 18.12.

Corrected, the example would read: "XML 45-48 passim"

Since passim is a word there is no following period.

This is the first non-editorial type problem that I have encountered,
i.e., one that involves a possible change to the schema itself.

Suggestions?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005