Subject: Re: [office] Passwords

David,

David Faure wrote:

>On Tue Nov 28 2006, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>

>>Shouldn't encryption of the password be considered as application specific?
>>

>This would simply kill interoperability. Why don't we standardize the hash function instead?

Sure, but we did not even specify a choice of hash functions in the
current version.

So, specifying what must/should be supported will enhance
interoperability but would be more restrictive than our prior statements
on this issue.

Does anyone know if the list of hash functions posted by Florian
(thanks!) would be considered sufficient by government agencies? Or common?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005