Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-metadata] Re: [office] Suggested ODF1.2items

Svante,

Svante Schubert wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> Patrick Durusau wrote:

>>> Have you any bad feelings with the second attribute based approach?
>>>
>> If I am reading it correctly it looks like you have a milestone in
>> the first one and an open/close element in the second, although they
>> are concatenated. Yes?
>
> How do you define a milestone, is a start/end tag a milestone? I guess
> here is a misunderstanding. I don't like approach of start & end
> flags. I will expand the example of the solution I prefer to the
> following:

> meta:class="foo">blahblah</span></p>
> meta:class="foo"><span/></p>

OK, it may just be a typo but you keep writing: <span
meta:class="foo"/>. The others I understand. But <span
meta:class="foo"/> is a milestone in traditional SGML/XML terminology.
It is an empty element that has no location in the document hierarchy
and that is why it is often seen in overlap discussions.

> All elements with @meta:class="foo" are of the same semantic and
> define an area, which is not related to the XML hierarchy.
> In this special case - representing an alternative to a start & end
> tag - this area is a sequence of content, but it might be as well
> clustered all over the content.xml.

Yes, but you appear here to be putting the <span
meta:class="foo"></span> elements as corrected nested in the XML
hierarchy, despite concatenation gathering them together for some common
semantic. (I have no objection to the notion of a common semantic.)

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

>> Steve DeRose actually did a presentation at Extreme Markup on a
>> variation we developed for a Bible encoding project where there are
>> two milestone elements that are linked by startID and endID (only one
>> allowed in each) to deal with overlapping markup. Your xsl:key
>> suggestion would work here.
>>
>> I have misgivings about the use of a milestone plus a more normal
>> start/end tag. Mixing markup techniques as it were seems prone to
>> problems.
>>
>> Would you allow two milestones in addition to milestone plus a
>> regular element?
>>
>> That would give implementers two ways to accomplish the same end, not
>> often a good idea.
>>
> Hopefully the questions above settled by clarifying the intended
> approach.
>
> Cheers,
> Svante.

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005