Subject: Adding support for "em" measurements

Marbux:
> The ODF specification currently lacks support for the Unicode em-based
> relative typographic spaces....
> ODF 1.1 section 16.1 currently provides in relevant part:
> ==============
> length
> A (positive or negative) physical length, consisting of magnitude and
> unit, in  conformance with §5.9.11 of [XSL:FO]. Supported units are
> cm", mm", in", pt" and pc". Applications *shall* support all
> these units. Applications *may* also support "px" (pixel)...

+1 for adding "em" to the list of supported units; I think we should do that for version 1.2.  It's easily done, and will make it easier to interoperate with other formats that use "em"s.

In cases where the font is changing size, I'd interpret that as "whatever font is active at that moment".   (Is there a case where there's NO active font yet?  If so, we could recommend using Paragraph "Default"s, and fail if there isn't one.)

> [1] In my opinion, the ODF specification also needs a
> <text:space-to-fill> tag to indicate the insertion point for space
> needed to justify a line left and right. Where two or more tags occur
> per line, the implementing application should divide the space to fill
> equally in the specified position. For example, take the common book
> header line that includes a page number, the chapter title, and the
> book title

Hmm - that seems odd. Is there a better way?

(BTW, that's an incredibly long email... I don't think you needed to get into all that!).

--- David A. Wheeler