Subject: Re: [office] Adding support for "em" measurements

David,

I don't have the details at my finger tips but I recall that there are
multiple definitions of "em" in typography.

If we specify one, shouldn't we allow for choices of the others?

I can run down the details a bit later this week.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

David A. Wheeler wrote:

>Marbux:
>

>>The ODF specification currently lacks support for the Unicode em-based
>>relative typographic spaces....
>>ODF 1.1 section 16.1 currently provides in relevant part:
>>==============
>>length
>>A (positive or negative) physical length, consisting of magnitude and
>>unit, in  conformance with §5.9.11 of [XSL:FO]. Supported units are
>>cm", mm", in", pt" and pc". Applications *shall* support all
>>these units. Applications *may* also support "px" (pixel)...
>>

>+1 for adding "em" to the list of supported units; I think we should do that for version 1.2.  It's easily done, and will make it easier to interoperate with other formats that use "em"s.
>
>In cases where the font is changing size, I'd interpret that as "whatever font is active at that moment".   (Is there a case where there's NO active font yet?  If so, we could recommend using Paragraph "Default"s, and fail if there isn't one.)
>

>>[1] In my opinion, the ODF specification also needs a
>><text:space-to-fill> tag to indicate the insertion point for space
>>needed to justify a line left and right. Where two or more tags occur
>>per line, the implementing application should divide the space to fill
>>equally in the specified position. For example, take the common book
>>header line that includes a page number, the chapter title, and the
>>book title
>>

>Hmm - that seems odd. Is there a better way?
>
>(BTW, that's an incredibly long email... I don't think you needed to get into all that!).
>
>--- David A. Wheeler

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005