Subject: Re: [office] Question regarding user expectance.

On Friday 23 March 2007 13:54, Florian Reuter wrote:
> The interesting question is
> <quote>
> Basic question;
> Given two different implementations of ODF, which have different ways to
> internally do numbering. Are they in violation of the spec if they show
> different numbers for the list-items ?
> </quote>
[]
> My initial response was that the answer is YES; the users want to have the
> same numbers in different applications. However after thinking a little bit
> about it I found this problem very much related to the user requirement
> that e.g. page breaks should be the same across applications

Hi Florian,

I'm happy to see you changed your NO in another email to a Yes now. That saves
us some trouble since that is a basic concept and very important to agree
upon.
wrt the page breaks stuff; that can be discussed at a later date without
having any effect on the proposal on the table; so please stay focused.

Again, I'm very happy you stated a "Yes" they are in violation as that means
requirement F5 (at [1]) should be removed as it is in conflict of this basic
principle.

To add to the strength of the idea that ODF makes correct interpretation of
the numbered-items mandatory is the fact that ODF specifies the textual label
in the saved file. Which it would not be able to do if an implementation can
just alter the list-number at will.

Thanks.

1)
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/23090/list-requirements.odt