Subject: Re: [office] Concerning backwards compatibility in odf 1.2

Hi Dave,

I must admit that I was not considering the idea of time travel, but it is a thought.

In general I'm not too far off from what you are stating.  We don't want to be trapped by earlier versions of the format, and be unable to solve real problems by the necessity of perpetuating old mistakes.  Other companies with other legacy formats have that problem, and it is no end of trouble for them.

But I think we also need to consider that we're giving out three ODF versions within a year, which is a pretty good pace.  There needs to be some semblance of stability, and the ability for the user to have reasonable expectations of forwards and backwards compatibility in such a short time frame.  One way we can help set these expectations is by adopting a clear TC on what type of compatibility guarantee we're making with any new version of the standard.  This may not be the same guarantee with every update.  Maybe we track that with major and minor version numbers, and we make one set of guarantees with minor version updates, and few or no guarantees with major number updates.  ODF 1.2 is feeling to be like a major version update.  I sometimes wonder if it should be called ODF 2.0.

-Rob