Subject: Re: [office] re: I guess this is goodbye, and good luck

On Wed, 2007-16-05 at 14:47 -0400, Scott McGrath wrote:

> Separately, someone asked about the fee-free program.  Allow a brief
> explanation here.  The process is simply to send an email to
> Patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org requesting a fee-waived membership, explaining
> you do not have the capacity to fund a membership, what TCs you expect to be
> participating and in what capacity. (Yes, preference is given to active
> participants/contributors over casual observers)  Additionally, a signed
> Member Agreement is required.

This may not be solely an issue of the "capacity to fund a membership".
Clearly, I cannot stand up and claim that I do not have the capacity to
fund a membership. But in your initial note to us:

> I hope many or all of you can continue your participation with your
> own member account, either individually, or through your employer.  A
> significant benefit of this is carrying your own voting rights, so you
> more fully support the work.  To that end, you should review your
> membership options detailed at
> http://www.oasis-open.org/join/categories.php I've asked Peter Roden,
> copied on this message, to contact you to help you know more about the
> costs/benefits of your own membership.

you are referring to the cost/benefits of our own membership.
Unfortunately any cost/benefit analysis based on persuading a
disinterested employer to join at a significant fee or paying for an
individual membership to be able to contribute to a cause in which one
has no financial interests has the result of not being a member any
longer.

Andreas

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta